STEERER (Structuring Towards Zero Emission Waterborne Transport) will coordinate the establishment and communication of a Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda and an Implementation Plan towards zero-emission waterborne transport, in cooperation with all key stakeholders needed to facilitate the transformation to clean waterborne transport. In the definition of STEERER, as well as cutting greenhouse gas emissions, all harmful environmental emissions, water pollution and noise emissions have to be eliminated. STEERER’s mission is to bring the various initiatives and sectors’ stakeholders together to join forces for a combined effort with the maximum impact for the climate, people’s health and Europe’s economy.
The project aims to
- Jointly set emission targets towards 2050 (including targets for 2025 and 2030);
- Contribute to the update of the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda of the Co-Programmed Partnership on Zero-Emission Waterborne Transport (cPP ZEWT) in the framework of Horizon Europe, to be able to reach these targets in time;
- Develop an Implementation Plan to reach the targets in due course while staying competitive and offering a valid business case;
- Developing and implementing a communication campaign, aimed at broader awareness of the waterborne transport sector and its commitment towards zero-emission transport, to become a fully sustainable mode of transport;
- Monitoring and assessing the implementation of the Strategy defined and adapting where necessary, after the project’s conclusion, by the Green Shipping Expert Group.